Sunday, October 23, 2005

About This Blog

I received my first model horse, a Breyer Sham, in the mid-1980s. Although my collecting has been sporadic since then, I've tried to keep tabs on the dynamic, fascinating, and sometimes downright odd world of model horse collecting and its attendant pursuits.

Because I'm interested in material culture, I'm driven to research and write about the collecting community of which I have become a part. This blog, then, is one location where I'd like to share my thoughts with other members of the worldwide model horse community and receive ongoing feedback on my musings and discoveries.

Feel free to respond to posts at length using the comment function on Blogspot, or e-mail me with especially long comments, and I'll post them manually. I especially invite the participation of people who are intimately involved in the hobby, either through depth, breadth, or length of participation. I've come to know many of you at live shows and through Model Horse Blab, and I value your thoughts tremendously.

Anyone should feel free to take the questionnaires posted under "Participate" in the right-hand column. Participants are entered in quarterly raffles for model horse-related items.

Eventually, I'd like to publish a book on model horse collecting communities, and thus it's possible that anything you share here might find its way into print. Unless you explicitly e-mail me to request otherwise, any comments you make to me, either on this blog or in e-mail, will be represented anonymously in my research--that is, you will be given a pseudonym.

In addition to keeping this blog, I'm interested in interviewing people who are especially prominent in the hobby, have been in the hobby for more than a decade, or who have otherwise reflected at length on what it means to be a collector of plastic, resin, or china horses. E-mail me for details if you're interested, or if you know someone I should interview.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home